menu

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A simple thought to occupy my mind.
























A few days ago, I was walking down Diamond, a street that cuts through Eastown. I was returning, alone, from lunch with a good friend. I was conscious of the sketch nature of the neighborhood despite broad daylight, and felt quite vulnerable.

As I walked, two somewhat rough, unshaven men stepped out of a house, lit cigarettes in hand. My immediate instinct was, as it always has been, was to avoid eye contact and rush by like I had somewhere to be and someone to see.

I don't know what struck me, but instead of scurrying past, I kept a steady pace and as I passed, I smiled and said hello. For a moment they looked confused; I am sure they expected my pace to quicken and my eyes to focus dead ahead; however.

They smiled broadly, and replied with a "And how are you? Enjoying the day?"

I said yes; and you?

The rest of the day, I was filled with the silliest sense of joy and love for my fellow humans, though I had done little but defy my own nonsensical prejudices. But the simple thoughts danced through my mind.

I wonder, is the acknowledgment and acceptance of humanity the first step toward curing it? A familiar, non original thought, I am sure. :)


These pictures are from a late afternoon spent romping in a sunny field with Rose and my collie, Kodi. We reveled in loose skirts tied up as dresses, sunshine, and mosquito repellent.

Be blessed,
Essie





3 comments:

MarieBayArea said...

love these photos. you ladies look lovely and Kodi is just a peach with the loveliest smile. great story. i love these kinds of touching, meaningful musings on life and humanity.

Liv said...

Lovely photography =) Rose sent me a link to your blog.... It's now on my RSS =)

Can't wait to see more!

Leah Brunner said...

your photos are so beautiful