menu

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sartorial temptations...


Vintage 1980's Laura Ashley sailor dress, via pineapplemint @ etsy

Today, I'm wearing my teal boots and a teal bow in my hair. Not ridiculously matchy-matchy by any means - just coordinated. It was only when I grabbed my blue and green umbrella and put on my teal sunglasses that I thought, Okay, maybe this is a little ridiculous.

I find that I'm always drawn to teal and mustard yellow above all else. (And emerald green, when I can find it - my three favorite colors!) Sometimes I have to fight the temptation to buy something just because it's in one of those colors. But I can't help it - I just think they're so lovely.

I also think that I'm going to have to be physically restrained from going too literal with my nautical inspiration. I have been so drawn to sailor-inspired dresses lately that I'm afraid when summer comes around, it's going to look like I'm in costume! Oh dear.

So when I found this dress on Etsy, it was just too perfect for words - it combined my love for sailor dresses and my adoration of the color teal. Score! I debated for a month or two about whether I should buy it - I've been trying to save money - but then I realized that I would probably never find another dress that was more "me" so I went ahead and bought it. It arrived only two days after I ordered it and I absolutely adore it! It definitely needs to be altered - for some reason, the long sleeves and the length of the skirt absolutely dwarf my incredibly statuesque five feet, three inches. I can't figure it out! Ha. So, once I can get near a sewing machine that works (Esther's is broken), I'm going to take off the sleeves and take the hem up. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

So what are your style temptations? Do you have too much of a certain color/style in your wardrobe? Well, maybe "too much" is the wrong phrase - if you love it, wear it, I say.

Be sure to check out the rest of what Pineapple Mint has to offer!

No comments: